Guide to practical driving test

By Ross
Learner Tips

Below is a link to the Guide to practical driving test


After the practical driving test

Your driving examiner will discuss the results of your test at the testing centre at the end of your test.

If you have passed the test

If you hold a learner licence, interstate licence or foreign licence, you must pay the licence fee before your new licence can be issued.
If you already hold a current Queensland provisional P1, P2 or open licence, you will be issued a new licence showing the upgraded licence class at no cost.
You must remove your L-plates before you leave the centre.
If you are issued with a P1 or P2 licence, you must display the relevant P-plates. Not displaying a P-plate also carries a fine and 2 demerit points.
Becoming a P-plater means you can’t drive a high-powered (performance) vehicle. This means, if you passed your driving test in a high-powered vehicle, you will not be able to drive it away from the testing centre.
If you haven’t passed the test

Before you leave, make sure you know exactly what you did wrong and how you can improve.
Come back after more practice and try again.
There is no limit to the number of times you may take the test, but you must pay a fee every time.
From 1 January 2015, a cooling off period will apply if you fail a class C (or CA) practical driving test.

Cooling off periods are:

First fail—you can resit the test on the next day after the first time you fail the test.
Second fail—you can resit the test on the 8th day after the second time you fail the test.
Third and subsequent fail—you can resit the test on the 29th day after the third and subsequent time you fail the test.
You can book to resit your practical driving test before the cooling off period has ended.

If you hold a foreign licence and you fail a practical driving test, your authority to drive on your foreign licence will be withdrawn.

You will be able to use your foreign licence for the next practical driving test you take, but you will not be able to use this licence to practise driving.

You will have to apply for a Queensland learner licence if you need to practise driving before taking your next test.

Back to Top